Sunday, January 06, 2008

Movie Review: I Am David


Joy and I use Netflix. If you've never tried it, we highly recommend it. We don't have cable or Tivo, but we have Netflix.


One of the movies that was recommended to us came in the mail this past weekend. It was called I Am David. Here's a family review site that talks about the content of the movie. It was tearjerker, but a wonderful movie about learning to trust again after being hurt.

Here's a synopsis from the IMDB website:

"I Am David is adapted from Anne Holm's internationally acclaimed novel North to Freedom. It is the story of a 12-year-old boy, David, who escapes a Communist concentration camp with little more than a compass, a sealed letter, a loaf of bread, and instructions to carry the letter to Copenhagen, Denmark. David is thrust into the free world for the first time in his young life as he travels across Europe. It is a spiritual voyage of discovery, where David slowly loses his instinctual mistrust of humanity and begins to smile, share, trust and ultimately, love. I Am David addresses the cruelties, politics, and suffering of warfare while celebrating the resilience of youth and the unbreakable spirit of a child."

We recommend this for older children and adults. Silas enjoyed some of it and it didn't have overtly violent moments, so he could watch it without being scared. It implied a few things that were scary, but the end was wonderful.

When the song played at the very end Joy and I were weeping like big old crybabies.

From the Guiles family: Two thumbs up!

No comments: